Sunday, June 14, 2009

we are family

several weeks ago i got to see my little brother graduate from high school. apart from being completely surreal seeing our family grow up, it was a learning moment for me. a fellow classmate of my brother's gave a great speech about the human genome project which began the year she was born. 

the human genome project began in 1990, an attempt to understand the complete human genome, our genes, the way that each being's dna makes them an individual. 

there were several significant findings of the genome project. one finding: that all human beings share 99.99% of the same genes and only .01% of our genes makes us uniquely US. 

think about that for a minute.
we are all related. 
it is ONE hundredth of one percent that differentiates me from you, and you from someone living in asia, or africa, or anywhere. 
no matter what you look like, what language you speak, how tall you are, or how smart you are... 

it doesn't matter if you agree with this study or not. whether it is morally right, or not. 
these findings are simply AMAZING. could this information change life as we know it? if we, as citizens of the world could understand that we are all brothers and sisters of this great land. we are so much more similar to one another than we are different. 

we are family.


1 comment:

Cindy Cain said...

Hey Ali, I was looking for your new website (found it) and ended up on this one and read this post. It instantly made me think of this movie I saw and I think you will like it a lot. http://iamthedoc.com/ I'll send you something on FB too....not sure if you will get this. Love, (cousin) Cindy