Saturday, September 27, 2008

overwhelmed

i started packing this evening.
it's amazing how many things a room measuring 10 by 12 feet square can hold.
my 'stuff' is on its way to being ready to take off from camphill, and my mind is following not-so-closely behind.

i just sorted through the basket that i have been keeping every greeting card, postcard, newspaper clipping, etc. that has been sent to me while i've been here. only personal stuff.
it filled my heart to the brim. not to mention my eyes.
i sifted through halloween cards, then christmas, valentine's day, and so on all the while reliving those holidays in this place. it's been rough. and beautiful.

i finished sorting cards and was wishing i would have sent more thank-you notes. wishing i had made more calls thanking people for their support. wishing i could travel around the world right now and give hugs. lots of hugs and kisses letting folks know that they are downright wonderful.

as i leave this community i realize that the community that i was so lucky to grow up in has surrounded me, even from far away. a network of friends, family, brothers, aunts and uncles, coworkers, schoolmates, roommates, etc. has let me occupy a tiny bit of their hearts for the last year. i am lucky and i am eternally grateful. and giving them a piece of my heart, my thoughts in return.

i am realizing that community is so many things before a physical place where people live together. the world is a commune.

feeling so ready to go. ready to take a breath. ready to sleep. ready to do anything for myself with my whole consciousness. ready ready ready ready ready to go.
at the same time feeling anxious about leaving.
anxious to leave these beautiful people. anxious to live in the real world again, to shop at the grocery store, to exchange money, to pay for gas.

ready, set, go.


new art...
my mantra. words that inspire my core. words that make me want to create art. words that help me wake up in the morning. spoken by my dear dear friend denise in johannesburg last summer:


No comments: